You may wish to remain close to your present home, relatives and friends or General Practitioner. If you are considering a change in location, consider:

  • Would you prefer to live in the locality or community you have been used to?
  • Is the home situated where relatives and friends can visit you easily?
  • Will you have to change your GP?
  • Is there easy access to public transport, local amenities, parks, church, post office or shops?
  • Are the surroundings too noisy or too quiet and what would you feel comfortable in?

The checklist below is not intended to cover all needs but to provide an awareness of points to consider when choosing a care home - too many negative points may seriously affect the standard of care.

To search for CQC registered homes with and without nursing in your area please click here.

The Home

Take the terms and conditions of residence and brochures and read them carefully.

The Room

This will become your own private place and must be comfortable:


Consider what facilities the home needs to offer and the type of care you need, for example:

The Cost

Can you afford the fees? Be clear of what is included, such as:

The cost of personal hygiene or medical needs and personal laundry.

Remember if fees are being paid from capital it will decrease very quickly.

Work out how many months it will last and, most importantly, find out whether the home will agree to accommodate you on state support if required?

If you are in this situation please contact us or telephone us on 0800 0699 784.


Look at some sample menus. It is important that you have a good balanced diet chosen from food you enjoy:


Try to assess how the home feels:


Does the Home have rules for residents, and if so are they acceptable? These may include:

Complaints Procedure

Any difficulties or problems you encounter should first be taken up with the home proprietor. If you are unable to satisfactorily resolve the problem, it should be referred in writing to the social services department, or health authority homes inspector. If the outcome of the investigation is not satisfactory, you can take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman who can provide an independent complaints review service. They can be contacted on 0300 061 0614 or via www.lgo.org.uk/complaint-form.