The Advocacy People
The Advocacy People is an independent charity that provides free independent and confidential advocacy services. It was previously known as SeAp but changed its name in early 2020 and is now known as The Advocacy People.
They provide independent advocacy services to help resolve issues or concerns you may have about your health and wellbeing or your health and social care services. Their aim is to ensure that:
- You are in control of decisions which are made about you
- Your experiences, views, wishes and feelings are heard
- You can contribute to improving the health and care services you use
How can The Advocacy People team can help you?
We all know how hard it can be when we don’t feel listened to, when what’s important to us isn’t taken seriously by others, or we just don’t have the words to say what we really feel or want. It can be even more difficult when decisions are being made about our health and social welfare.
Advocacy can support you, or the people you care for, to speak up. Advocates are independent, they don’t make decisions for you or about you.
Every local authority area in England is required by law to have four specific advocacy services for adults, called statutory advocacy services:
- Independent Health Complaints Advocacy for people wishing to raise a complaint about an NHS service or service paid for by the NHS;
- Independent Mental Health Advocacy for people under section in a hospital, unit or in the community;
- Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy for people who have been assessed as lacking capacity to make certain decisions;
- Independent Care Act Advocacy for people who are being assessed for their care and support needs or their care and support arrangements are being reviewed, including carers.
These services are delivered by The Advocacy People in some areas but, if we don’t provide it, someone else will. There may also be other advocacy services in your area – what this might be and who provides it will depend on where you live.
Get in touch
For more information about advocacy and to find out if The Advocacy People deliver services in your area: